Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kitchen Remodel: Before and After

I've been slacking quite a bit when it comes to posting pictures of the renovation. I swear it's every time I get 2 min to myself to do something, I have to run to the lumber yard or the hardware store for something. And quite a few times, it's multiple trips lol. To bad our hardware store doesn't have those frequent shopper cards, I'd be raking in the points like crazy lol. It's bad enough they are starting to recognize me there.

These are the before pictures of the kitchen. We took down the wall between the dining room and the kitchen to open it up a bit. We've added counter and cabinet space, as well as an island, which my dad absolutely loves. Oh and don't pay attention to the time stamp on the pictures. I had put new batteries in it and never set the date lol.

View into the kitchen from the dining room.



The corner in the kitchen that was removed.


The next few pictures are pictures of the old kitchen cabinets and counter top. You can also see part of the kitchen floor that we took out and replaced as well. Very dark cabinets made an already small kitchen that much smaller.


Someone my dad knows was also remodeling his kitchen. We bought his old kitchen cabinets for $500.00 which is a huge bargain compared to what it would have cost us to buy all new cabinets. The annoying part, the cabinets were all dark colored once again. So I've spent most of the spring and all summer stripping them down, sanding them, staining, painting and sealing them back up.


A picture taken from the dining room after the wall had been removed as well as the lower cabinets.

And this is a picture of the cabinets we had bought before they were all refinished. It was a lot of sanding. I've burned through 2 power sanders and dad had to break down and get me an industrial one that was going to last longer than 4 cabinets.



And this is the kitchen after everything was refinished, installed, and new appliances. This is a view of it from the dining room. There is still work to be done, like installing a few drawers, trim and shelving, but we're happy with how it's turning out. We even saved a bit of money by reusing the original hardware and pull knobs. The sanding and staining of the doors was my dad's idea. But I have to take credit for the recessed portion of the door being painted. It was going to be very frustrating for me to try and sand that portion of the door and be happy with it. The paint color was drawn out of the set of trivets my sister had bought my mom for xmas last year from Bed Bath & Beyond.

The island that replaced the wall that was torn out.

The additional cabinets and counter space in the dining room.


There are a few things left to do like the kick plates on the bottom of the cabinets. But for the most part, the kitchen is done.
I know for sure, I don't want to be an interior decorator after this project lol.

Happy Crafting!
~K. Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...