Monday, August 9, 2010

Art: Journaling: Mermaid page

It seems like forever since we went camping, when it's only really been a week since we've been home. And since we've been home, everything has been a flurry of activity. 

I am taking a break from my craft space overhaul to share the page in my Art Journal that I worked on before, during and a little bit after our camping trip. I slipped outside this morning to get a really good picture and glad that I did, it's now gray and dreary outside.


I know we didn't go to the ocean. But whenever we go to the River, I always start daydreaming about merfolk. This trip was no exception.

I painted the background before we left on our trip. I had hoped to work on my journal a lot while up there, but with a 5 year old who needs a bit of entertaining, that really didn't happen. But I did get to spend a few hours drawing the mermaid in the upper right hand corner and the tail fin of the diving mermaid. 

I finished the layout after returning home with another image of a mermaid and tried something new for me that was really fun, packing tape transfers.

The poem is by Lord Byron titled "There be none of Beauty's daughters..."

There be none of Beauty's daughters with a magic like thee;
And like music on the waters
Is thy sweet voice to me. 
When, as if its sound were causing
The charmed ocean's pausing,
The waves lie still and gleaming;
And the hill'd winds seem dreaming.
And the midnight moon is weaving
Her bright chain o'er the deep,
Whose breast is gently heaving, 
So the spirit bows before thee
As an infant's asleep.
With a full but soft emotion, 
Like the smell of summers ocean.
Happy Crafting!
~K.Michele

5 comments:

  1. Oh, this is lovely. A really beautiful page and an equally beautiful poem. Wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful page. I love the mermaids. And that poem...I don't think I had ever read it. :) I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I found the poem when I was poking around the internet for some mermaid quotes to fill the pages. I read it and thought it fit right in =) The page I found the poem on is http://www.fionasplace.net/mermaids.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again :) Just thought I'd let you know there's a blog award waiting for you over at my place. If awards aren’t really your thing then worry not, it’s just a bit of fun and to show how lovely I think you are. Hope you're having a nice day!
    Roisin x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...