Friday, March 28, 2014

Preparations


Our home these last few months has been nothing short of a flurry of activity and self care. Of slowing down and knowing when to say “I can’t”. And I’ve been preparing and getting everything in order and ready for the birth of our little one. Spring may not be here yet because the cold of winter wants to keep its icy grip tight a little while longer, but this mama is dreaming of warmer weather and is ready to welcome her little Spring baby into the world.

It’s hard to believe that we’re into a single digit countdown these days. 9 days today to be exact. I’ll be honest, I am anxious and really nervous. It’s been 9 years since we’ve had an infant in this house and 9 years since I’ve had to heal from a c-section. At the same time, it’s not just the fact we’re having a baby that’s driving the nerves a bit. I think I’m more nervous about the decisions I will be making (like breastfeeding or pumping this time around) and having to go back to work in 8 weeks after my maternity leave runs out (I miss being a stay at home mom). But at the same time, we’re in a different place in our lives than we were 9 years ago. And though I worry constantly about our guy being a big brother and how their relationship will be, every now and then he surprises me with how much he’s really looking forward to having a little sister.

The other day I showed him the latest sonogram of his little sister and when I told him how long we have left to wait until we get to meet her, he was just over come with emotion and started to shed tears. I asked him what was wrong, and he just looked at me and said “I’m just so happy to be finally having a little sister. I can’t wait until she’s finally here.” (Yeah that triggered my own tears, thank you hormones)

In the midst of all the chaos, things are slowly coming together. We’re still making her nursery perfect and getting the finishing touches in it (it only took me 9 months to finally find a crib set we liked), like storage bins for the shelf and such. But I’m pleased with how it’s coming along. Her room is the smallest in the house, but with a little bit of mama cleverness, I’m hoping that it’ll be one very cozy little nursery.


The nursery from the hallway

You remember the lace lampshade? Yup that’s finally hanging now and I just love how it looks in her bedroom.


There are also little treasures that were taken from other parts of the house and brought into her little bedroom like the little hummingbird light that will be perfect for night time feedings. And the wing back chair that was given to us by my Oma and Opa.  The curtain? That was a twin bed sheet that I sewn in half and added some purple ribbon ties.
 


Mama handmade goodness is scattered throughout her nursery with much more to come I’m sure as she gets bigger. I still have a number of things I’m working on, including a crochet blanket I’m still working on for her. 


                                                                                   The mobile after needing to adjust the length

When we found out we were having a little girl, I knew she needed some little faeries to dance about her room. So what does any crafty mama do? Make a faery mobile!
 

  faeries
                       Each of the faeries made from muslin and felt


                              




                         The mobile after finished

 There are other handmade touches, like the hand painted P above the crib and soon to be artwork that aren’t finished yet.


Her room may not be completely finished like I had wished it would be, but by the time she is ready to sleep in her room, it will be perfect! So here’s to the last 9 days as a family of 3 before we become a family of 4!!

blogsignature

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm Heather and I was hoping you would be able to answer a quick question about your blog! My email is Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...