Monday, December 3, 2012

Elf on the Shelf and Traditions

November was spent creating in one form or another, even if I didn’t post every day about my creative endeavors. Once Thanksgiving comes and goes, the rest of November and a good chunk of December is filled with holiday traditions and handmade gift making.

Thanksgiving marks the time that the holiday decorations come down out of the attic and our tree goes up. This is the first year in a very long time that our holiday decorating (including changing out our family altar for Yule) is done in a week (last year it took us just about 3 weeks to put everything up).

It is also a time that I find new traditions are introduced and welcomed with open arms. One of those traditions that’s been introduced is Elf on the Shelf. I’m sure you’ve seen them in stores, the internet, just about every where. Funny this is the first year I’ve heard of them or even of the tradition. But it’s one that our family has embraced. But I put our own little spin on it. I made our elf.

He’s posable as the store bought ones, but he looks more like how I think holiday elves do. His long cap, his pouch of magic dust, and a tiny magic key so that he can open any lock. In our house, not only does he report to Father Christmas (or Santa) , but he also gives updates to the Krumpus (a nod to my Germanic background).

HollyFatherChristmas

                                                                                  Image from here

I’ll be honest, I wasn’t really sure how my kiddo would react to the whole idea. But he’s actually taken very well to the idea and magic behind our Elf. He loves looking for Nike (like Mike) each morning and wondering where Nike will be.

Day 1: Nike and his introduction letter

Day 2: Decorating our living space downstairs

day3

Day 3: Color with me

Proof positive that our little guy really enjoys having Nike around? When the kiddo gives Nike our last name, writing it on Nike’s picture, because Nike is “part of the family now”.

Nike and the kiddo coloring before school

So my days now are spent making the numerous items for gifts as well as helping create the magic and tradition that our family thrives around.

blogsignature

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...