Thursday, January 9, 2014

Crochet Baby Poncho

 

A few years ago, I stumbled ( I say stumbled because to this day I forget what I was actually looking for, but that’s beside the point) upon the cutest little poncho that I’ve been pining over ever since. The problem then, I didn’t know anyone at the time who was having girls so that I could make one or millions. Everyone I knew at the time was having little boys. I may be the “best mama in the whole wide world” (to directly quote the kiddo), but my request to make a poncho for the kiddo would fall on deaf ears.

So it sat, bookmarked on my web browser for what seemed like forever. But when we found out we were having a little girl, I knew EXACTLY what I wanted to make for her and I knew the perfect yarn. I had 2 skeins of yarn in 2 colors  that I bought some 8 years ago when I was pregnant with the kiddo. Originally thinking I was going to make a blanket or something for him. Yeah that never happened and since then I’ve lost the labels on the yarn and lost one skein of the pinky color when our basement flooded some years back. And so the yarn sat in my plastic yarn bin, waiting for inspiration to strike when I’d want to use it for something.

I absolutely loved the mix of the pale pink and pale blue that gave the yarn a light purple color. The problem, I didn’t think I had enough because I only had 1 skein of it. But lucky for me, I was able to find some yarn that was similar in texture and thickness at work. So I dove right in. Of course there was another problem. I didn’t know how to make granny squares. Nor did I know how to double crochet. I only knew how to single crochet and the only thing I knew how to crochet was scarves. That’s it! Nothing more.

But there is a wonderful tool called Google and You Tube so I set about learning how to crochet granny squares and double crochet. Which are pretty easy in fact. I don’t know why I never tried to learn them before.

 

And so Persephone’s (yup! Our daughter is going to be named after a Greek goddess. It’s only fair, her brother was named after a Norse god) poncho is finished. It’s a bit larger than I thought it was going to be, but that’s ok. She will get more wear out of it that way. And I love how cushy and warm the poncho feels. It’ll be perfect for autumn afternoons romping around the yard or going for walks.

Now that I’ve finished it, which took maybe 3 days total in the end (1 evening after work to make the granny squares, 1 evening to sew them together and start the edges, and 1 afternoon before work to finish the bottom edge and weave in all the ends), I might just have to make one for me! Because let’s be honest, I’m a bit jealous now! But that will have to wait as this mama has other projects in the process of being worked on, including one that uses the yellow green yarn that I bought at the same time as the purplish one that I just used.

So here’s to the start of a productive and creative 2014!

 

blogsignature

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...